Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Know What to Do


I woke up this morning (okay, let's be real. I woke up 17 times last night...) and had the distinct feeling that I just can't take it anymore.

I have a terrible time sleeping at night. This isn't new. It kind of all started about four or five years ago. But it's ridiculous now. See, among my many ailments, I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome. So, sleeping in any position besides flat on my back with my arms at my sides makes my hands fall asleep. Not like typical "oh dude, my hand's asleep," but rather like, "OH MY GOD I CAN'T FEEL MY ENTIRE ARM!! MAYBE I NEED TO GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM?!?!"

It sucks, but whatever, I've lived with that particular challenge for a few years. The thing is, now I've started snoring if I sleep on my back. And I wake myself up. So, basically I'm screwed. If I sleep on my back, I wake myself up snoring. If I sleep in any other position, I wake up because my entire arm is numb. And I suspect that I'm snoring because of my weight. Because I've never snored before.

So, when EG invited me to lunch today, I said, "No thank you. I must walk today." And she ended up eating lunch and then walking with me. I was asking her about 24 Hour Fitness, and I wondered if they made you see a trainer or something to get started.

She said, "No. I don't need someone to show me what to do. I know what to do. It's just a matter of doing it."

I read somewhere that health and fitness is the one area where people's knowledge is the most at odds with what people actually do. I know in my own case, it's definitely true.

I know what to eat and drink to be healthy. And I'm sitting here eating Cheez-its (reduced fat though) and drinking Diet Pepsi.

I know building muscle is a great way to increase metabolism. I haven't lifted weights in months. I could even tell you three or four awesome exercises to do to work any muscle in your body. Do I DO them? No.

I know I should walk 60 min. per day. I do 30 or so about 3 days a week.

I know fat, cholesterol, sugar, hydrogenated oils, artificial stuff, etc... is bad for me. I KNOW THIS. And I eat it anyway.

On the other hand...

I know that I should wear my seat belt in a car. And I do it. Every time.

I know the major principles behind effective adult education. And I use them in my work, every chance I get.

I know the rules of proper grammar and punctuation. And I use them.

I know how feng shui works. And I work very hard to keep the chi flowing properly in home and work environments.

I know that Stacy and Clinton forbid wearing bleached or whiskered jeans, and I don't wear them. I know that a woman with a chest like mine should wear V necks to minimize the chest. I have a closet full of V necks.

I know how to properly care for my skin and hair, and I do it.

I know how to apply makeup to maximize my good features and minimize the negatives. And I do that. Most days.

I know how to manage my finances properly. And I do it. Okay, well, mostly.

So WHY do I not put my extensive knowledge of health, fitness, and weight loss into practice???

3 comments:

Regina said...

Because the right answer is SO much harder than the wrong answer.

Because you are surrounded by a society that wouldn't know "healthy" if it slapped them in the face.

Because if you thought it was easy - you wouldn't be writing on this blog. LOL

Karen M. Peterson said...

I used to work with this guy that, literally, weighed close to 500 pounds. One day, I overheard him giving workout tips to a much skinnier coworker who wanted to bulk up a bit. The scrawny guy looked skeptically at the larger man who replied, "Dude, just cause I look like this doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about."

I had to laugh about that one.

I'm in the same boat. I know what to do. I just don't do it. Because it takes effort and makes me all sweaty and stuff. I need to reclaim my addiction to activity. Right now, I'm perfectly content to sit on the couch for hours and watch TV. That's no way to live.

Deanna said...

I think the reason you do all of those other things if because you either had no choice if it was work related or because it is a habit developed over many years.

I've developed the habit of working out 3 times a week now. I feel cheated if I don't. Now I'm making myself increase the work out just a bit each day. It is working for me.

The only way I can make myself not eat and drink bad stuff is to NEVER bring it in the house. Period. I have no willpower. If it does end up here, I call the grandkids and have them take it home with them. Gotta do whatever works!