Friday, October 30, 2009

Sometimes it's Not All About Me

Sometimes it is. Yesterday morning it was. I woke up at 6:30 with cramps. It was pouring rain outside. Like as in loud thunderstorms pouring. I laid in bed a minute thinking, "Ugh. I wish I didn't have to get up and go to work." And then I thought about what I had scheduled for the day (nothing) and how many sick days I have (lots) and I realized, "Yay! I'm not getting up and going to work!"

I sent a quick e-mail to the boss and co-workers, popped some ibuprofen, gathered up the heating pad, and went back to bed. It was fabulous. I woke up a time or two, still hurting, and went back to sleep. I didn't get up until 11:30.

By then, I was feeling better. I still lazed around most of the day though. Doncha love being sick enough to stay home, but not really sick enough to feel awful?

Thursday night is yoga class. You know, the class I love so much? It was still pouring out. My cramps were gone, but I still wasn't feeling like dragging myself out in the rain to go exercise.

I live in a town with an awesome Community Center. It's beautiful, fairly new, and has lots of great stuff going on. But some idiot came up with a new rule that if there are fewer than six people who show up for a class, they have to cancel class. Like with five people (plus instructor) sitting there, ready to go, hauled themselves away from home, families, work, whatever. Not six? No class. And what's even worse is, if this happens twice. Class is canceled, like forever!

So, I'm debating whether to get myself out in the rain, and I thought, "What if I'm the sixth person? What if I don't go, and only five show up, and class is called off? What if only five of us show next week too?! AAAGGGHHHH!!" I can't have that. So I went. And there were ten of us.

Anyway, I usually get there a bit early and walk around the track before class. I just really like soaking up the energy of all those people making healthy choices for themselves. Tonight there was a young mom pushing her baby in the stroller around the track. And an elderly couple walking laps together. Three young kids down on the mat trying to do push-ups just like Daddy. A big group of kids were playing basketball in the gym. There were the typical women on the elliptical machines with their water bottles and Ipods, trying to lose those last 10 pounds. And yes, there were the usual hot 20-something guys lifting barbells that weigh more than my entire body.

As I walked around and around and took in all the various scenes, I thought, "Could it be that some of these people need to soak up my energy too?" I'm all focusing on how much I need them. How much good it does me to be around so many health conscious people. But maybe there's someone there who looks for my face? Maybe my yoga instructor feeds of my energy during class? What if you guys are depending upon my post to help you along your own weight loss journey?

I don't know if I can take the pressure.

I might have to stop thinking about that. But, whatever, I went to yoga class. (And I posted a blog about it.) That's what matters.

Most Awesome Song I Heard While Working Out: "Settlin'" by Sugarland. "Had enough so-so for the rest of my life..." Fabulous! "Find what it means to be the girl who changed her mind and changed the world" Love it! Excellent song to get me pumped up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Saturday Sharefest! Coming over from SITS to say hello!

I've always wanted to try yoga but never have. I'm so uncoordinated, not sure if I would be able to do it. Happy Halloween