Saturday, September 19, 2009

Can I Press Ctrl/Alt/Del on My Morning?

Well, it's weigh-in day, and I haven't weighed-in. It's not my fault. My new fancy schmancy scale is broken.

You'd think I'd be all happy on this beautiful Saturday morning, but I think I got up on the wrong side of the bed (which was ANY side today, I swear). Rudy woke me up with his incessant barking, and that did not start me off with warm fuzzies.

But I got up and prepared to weigh-in anyway. My new scale persisted in displaying "E" no matter what I did. So, I tried pushing all the many buttons in a variety of combinations, to no avail. I took the batteries out and put them back in. Same thing. "E" over and over.

I dug out my instruction book. Yes, I kept it. I keep all instruction books. I have instruction books for my telephone, the stereo I bought 16 years ago, my appliances, televisions I no longer own, my lava lamp. If it came with an instruction book or booklet as it may be, I have it on file. This amuses X.

Anyway, no help there. I got on the website for the company. No help. I called the 800 number. No help. Well, unless you consider being placed inside an eternal loop of useless recorded messages to be helpful. In that case, it was quite helpful indeed.

Now, to get the full effect, you must know that I only weigh-in first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and empty bladder. So, while I'm doing all this troubleshooting on my fancy scale, I'm getting hungrier and hungrier and thus, getting pissier and pissier. Oh, and Rudy was still barking. And Beavis thought he was "being helpful" by purring loudly and rubbing himself all over my infuriating scale and myself. And I hadn't taken my allergy medicine yet, because that would have entailed drinking water, which would skew my weigh-in.

So, that's my morning, and my excuse for not updating my ticker. I ended up taking the (damn) scale back to Wal-mart this afternoon and getting a new one. So, I'll plan to weigh-in tomorrow. Hopefully it will be more productive than this morning proved to be.

No comments: