Monday, February 15, 2010

Mandarin Orange Romaine Salad

Today I'm sharing a yummy salad recipe I hadn't made in a long time and was craving last weekend.  I got the recipe from my ex-mother-in-law, and I have no clue where she got it.

It seems like it makes a lot, but trust me, it'll be eaten.  And you can't save it once you put the dressing on.  So, if you want to just do like one or two servings, keep the parts separate and mix 'em up as you need 'em.

Mandarin Orange Romaine Salad
 
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 T plus 1 tsp. sugar

Heat a skillet on high heat.  Add the sugar and the almonds stirring constantly while sugar melts.  Sugar will melt and begin to brown.  Remove from heat when light brown, and spread on waxed paper or foil to cool.  When the almonds are cool, you may need to break the "candy" into smaller pieces.

1 head romaine lettuce
1 large can (16 oz. I think?  Maybe it's 12 oz., just not that tiny can) mandarin oranges

Tear washed lettuce into bite sized pieces.  Drain liquid off mandarin oranges.

Dressing:
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup canola oil (this seemed like a lot to me, so I didn't quite use the full amount)
dash of black pepper
dash of red pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
2 T sugar
2T white vinegar
1 T parsley flakes

Mix all dressing ingredients together in a small container that seals well.  Put on the lid, and shake shake shake.

Right before you serve the salad, mix lettuce, oranges, candied almonds, and dressing in a large bowl.  And enjoy!

I've also made the salad and added some cooked chicken breast.  That is very yummy, and a complete meal!

For more great recipes, visit Cole for Tuesdays at the Table!

7 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

Yummy! I'm always looking for good salad recipes!

Unknown said...

YUMM-O...I love romaine lettuce salads...especially with fruit. This looks devine!

Blessings!
Gail

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! salad and I like the idea of the mandarin oranges.
Geri

Regina said...

Sounds like something that will soon be on my plate! Thanks for sharing!

Deanna said...

That salad recipe sounds absolutely great. I'm going to try it.
Hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Отличная статья! большое спасибо автору за интересный материал. Удачи в развитии!!! :)
--
http://www.miriadafilms.ru/
[url=http://mpeg4.com.ru/index.shtml]Музыка скачать[/url]

Anonymous said...

Почему регистрация не работает ?