Sunday, December 20, 2009

Stuff About Potatoes

Do you know how many tater tots equals one serving? (Don't try to act like you don't eat tater tots, I know you do. And if you don't, you want to.) Nine. NINE. Have you ever in your life eaten nine, and only nine, tater tots?

I made tater tots for dinner last night. I know, it's not the best choice, but that's what I wanted. I turned on the oven (hey, at least I didn't deep fry them!) and poured out the number of tater tots I thought I wanted to eat. Then for some reason, I decided to check out the nutrition information. Serving Size: 9 tots. 150 calories. And how many tots did I have on my plate? 26. Close to 450 calories. And virtually no nutritional value. One gram of fiber. (Hey, that means I ate three grams of fiber! Let's look on the bright side.)

One potato dish I've really become fond of lately is sweet potato fries. Again, I know this may not be the all around best choice of vegetable, but I figure it's better than regular french fries. So, I searched a little bit about nutrition information on those. This is what I found:

Serving size: 12 fries (Have I ever eaten only 12? No.)
Calories: 150
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 2 grams
Vitamin A: 100% Daily Value
Vitamin C: 10% Daily Value

Compared to a small order of McDonald's fries:
Serving size: one
Calories: 230
Fiber: 3 grams (I'm shocked it's the same.)
Protein: 3 grams (I'm even more shocked that it's MORE.)
Vitamin A: 0
Vitamin C: 8%

All this information came from The Daily Plate at Livestrong.com, which is a pretty cool site.

What's your favorite way to eat potatoes?

2 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I LOVE sweet potato fries. Practically any place that serves them, I have to get them. Soooo yummy!

Regina said...

I love the taters. Baked, fried, sweet fried, sweet baked fries...taters are good. I still live in the world of belief where taters are a veggie - and I don't want to hear otherwise. I am trying to build a realtionships with sweet potatoes that involves ANY good-for-you (read: does not involve marshmallows or a stick of butter) recipe...the hunt continues.