Saturday, November 3, 2012

Huevos Rancheros Spaghetti

I haven't posted a recipe in a long time, but I tried this one last week and loved it.  Now that I'm living alone, I'm focusing more on what I really want to eat.  I'm finding that it doesn't involve much meat, and I actually feel a lot better when I don't eat meat.  So, here's a yummy vegetarian recipe I adapted a little from O Magazine.

10 ounces spaghetti (I used Barilla Thin Spaghetti, and I recommend a "healthier" pasta option, whether whole grain, or whatever.  Also, this is a bit less pasta than the original recipe called for.  I thought it was way too much pasta and not enough other stuff when I made it the first time.)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped green onions
3 eggs (original recipe called for 4)
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups salsa, plus more for garnish
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish

In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions.  In the last three minutes of cooking, add corn, black beans, and green onion.

In a separate skillet, scramble eggs with some salt and pepper.  I used cooking spray instead of oil.  (The original recipe says to fry the eggs and put them on top of the pasta, but I prefer them scrambled and mixed in with the pasta mixture.)

When pasta is finished, drain, reserving about 3/4 cup of pasta water.  Return to big pan.  Add pasta water, egg, salsa, and cheese.  Add extra salsa and cheese to top of each serving.  (Makes 4 servings)

2 comments:

Ellen said...

That sounds delicious!

Ellen said...

That sounds delicious!