Friday, July 1, 2011

Excuses, Excuses...

Well here I am back with my second blog post in a row. I think I deserve a big ‘ol pat on the back for that! My diet is doing pretty good. I’ve lost about 5 pounds (in three weeks) and I feel healthier. I don’t have that bloated feeling like I used to have after eating. I try to stop eating once I feel full and take my time to eat. (example: we ordered pizza for dinner one night, instead of my usual 3-4 slices, I had 2 because I felt full after 2) I will say I’ve slipped now and then and had bread or bread product for lunch but nothing nearly as I have had before. I tried doing the salad thing but… here’s a TMI moment… it made me very gassy. I think I can do salad but just not every day and with a variety of dressings. I’ve really got to figure out a more diverse diet if I’m going to keep this up.

Here is my big problem with weight loss; I have no desire to exercise. In the past I really got into exercise and even enjoyed it a great deal. But I just don’t have a desire for working out right now. How does one get that desire or make themselves do the work? I think the diet part of things is going well because I’ve always been good at denying myself things. I was vegetarian for 8 years and had no problem doing it. I know it’s completely psychological and maybe I need to approach it from a different angle. I can be very self deprecating and unfortunately I see that trait forming in my son. So, I REALLY need to change my attitude before he gets as bad as me. On the exercise front I’ve been busy the last month with redecorating my bathroom and landscaping my backyard so that is a convenient excuse for not exercising as well.

July is a new month and really the start of my son’s summer vacation since he was in summer school all of June. So, the challenge of finding time to work out will be even greater now. I will also have to feed him lunch instead of doing my own thing on those weekdays we are at home together. So, I hope I don’t backslide on the diet either.

Anyway, any encouraging words or suggestions on how to get my butt motivated would be greatly appreciated. (Btw, I haven’t changed my weight loss ticker because I can’t remember my stupid password.)

Have a safe and happy 4th of July weekend!

2 comments:

Janet said...

In my opinion landscaping, painting, cleaning, etc... counts as working out. So does playing outside with your son! So that's kind of how I'm approaching it these days. I may not hit the "gym" exactly, but if I'm swimming, mowing, vacuuming, I consider it exercise.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Hi Elizabeth, I don't remember where you live but are you in the U.S.?
If so, you should consider Weight Watcher's.
I joined in October and have lost 41 lbs so far (my weigh in is tomorrow so I am not sure if it is 42 lbs yet)
One of the keys is to LOSE the word "diet". Change your mind talk to "eating right" and forget the word "denying" As soon as we "deny" ourselves something that is ALL THAT WE WANT!
Weight Watcher's allows you to eat ANYTHING that you want. You just have to account for it.
About exercise. You sound like me up til a month ago. Years ago I used to be a lifeguard and I was an avid swimmer. Then I became sedentary.
I lost the majority of my weight not exercising but then you hit a plateau. I started a month ago (I go to Planet Fitness) and I LOVE it and am now addicted to it. I average 3-5 days per week. Always 3 days a week.
I just do the treadmill and I do NOT go fast AT ALL. The fastest I go is 2.7 (which is SLOW!!!!) I stay a minimum of 35 minutes. Often I am there for an hour. One WONDERFUL part about exercising is when you MOVE you can EAT MORE! lol.
Also it is excellent for your mind!
If there is any way I can be of help to you I am more than happy to!
All the best!