Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Dirty Truth

I have a quote on my vision board (I know, I'm not entirely sold on this whole Secret thing, but I do have a vision board) that says, "Vital change cannot be forced. It begins with embracing where you are right now." So, in an effort to embrace where I am, I'm gonna tell you the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I'm only five feet tall. Well, and a half an inch, which somehow I've acquired in the last year or two, which makes no sense whatsoever, but I'll take it. On my short little self, every pound really shows. I based my goal weight of 115 on the highest weight that is considered "normal" for my height and frame size (which is tiny--I have the smallest wrists you've ever seen on a grown woman). My current weight is 162.2. I went out and purchased a scale that measures to the tenth of a pound, because, as I stated before, the smallest victories will be celebrated here.

My new scale also measures body fat percentage. Mine is 41%. For those of you playing the home game, this puts me in the "obese" category. Could you just die?! I'm not even "overweight." Nope, we've gone clear off the deep end into "obese."

So, what am I doing about it?

I'm not following any specific diet plan. I decided several weeks ago that I had fallen so far off the health wagon that I needed a seriously teeny goal. Going to the gym for an hour a day ain't happening. Giving up chocolate ain't happening. I needed something I knew I could achieve so that I'd feel some miniscule measure of success. Something incredibly simple, yet something that would definitely improve my health.

What I decided to do was to start taking a multi-vitamin every day and drinking one glass of water a day. I know, I know, you're thinking, "Whoa girl! Let's not go crazy with making changes now!" Honestly, that's how far it had gone. I hadn't taken a vitamin in months. And many days went by where I didn't drink anything but coffee or diet soda. So, I set the goal of water and a vitamin. I figured, worse case scenario, before I go to bed, I pop the pill and wash it down, and I've met my goal. And I've done it for about a month now. Yay me!

After about two weeks, I decided to add another goal, and then another, and so on. More to come on all of that later.

Honestly, when exactly did I become obese? This is NOT cool.

3 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I know, Janet. There's just something so ugly and ominous in the word "obese." It's one thing to say I'm chubby or need to lose weight, but to attach the word "obese" to myself, while true, just makes me feel worse. And what makes me feel better? Chocolate chip cookies.

Oops! I mean EXERCISE. That's it. Exercise...

Randy said...

I think this project is awesome and the site looks really good. I wish you all the best of luck. I'm excited for you all.

rebecca said...

I think that what you're doing is smart because to start small (and know you will succeed at it) until it becomes habit (one month for it to become habit), then you're on your way. I need to lose weight as well and I decided last week to commit to losing just one pound a week. By the end of the year, I'll be 16 lbs. down. I figure a pound a week is doable but I haven't weighed myself yet (that'll come Monday), so I'll see how well I did then! Everything else has failed in the past. So, I'm starting with one small commitment. Good luck on your journey.